2009 WISCONSIN ACT 394
An Act to create 15.347 (20) and 23.177 of the statutes; relating to: creating a Nonmotorized Recreation and Transportation Trails Council.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
394, s. 1
15.347 (20) of the statutes is created to read:
15.347 (20) Nonmotorized recreation and transportation trails council. (a) There is created in the department of natural resources a nonmotorized recreation and transportation trails council.
(b) The governor shall appoint members of the council to serve at the pleasure of the governor. In appointing the members of the council, the governor shall seek geographic diversity in the membership. The governor shall appoint members who personally undertake nonmotorized trail activities or who participate in organizations that own or maintain nonmotorized trails or that promote nonmotorized trail activities. The governor shall appoint members who represent as many as possible of the following groups, or who represent persons who engage in other nonmotorized trail activities or who have other interests related to nonmotorized trail uses identified by the governor:
1. Persons who engage in activities on water trails.
3. Persons who engage in horseback riding and buggy driving.
4. Persons who engage in long-distance hiking.
5. Persons who engage in nature-based activities, such as bird watching, nature study, hunting, and fishing.
6. Persons who engage in snow sports.
7. Persons who engage in bicycling of all forms, including trail riding, mountain biking, commuting, and long-distance bicycling.
8. Persons who represent local forests or parks.
9. Persons with physical disabilities who engage in nonmotorized trail activities.
10. Persons who are interested in tourism promotion.
11. Persons who represent tribal lands.
(c) If any member of the council is unable to attend a meeting of the council, the secretary of natural resources may appoint an alternate for that meeting to ensure that the full range of nonmotorized trails interests and activities is represented at the meeting.
394, s. 2
23.177 of the statutes is created to read:
23.177 Nonmotorized recreation and transportation trails council. (1) Duties of council. The nonmotorized recreation and transportation trails council shall carry out studies and make recommendations to the legislature, governor, department of natural resources, and department of transportation on all matters related to nonmotorized recreation and transportation trails, including matters relating to nonmotorized trail activities or interests specified in s. 15.347 (20) (b) 1. to 11.
(2) Duties of departments of natural resources and transportation.
(a) The department of natural resources and department of transportation shall seek the advice of, and consult with, the council regarding the planning, acquisition, development, maintenance, and management of nonmotorized recreation and transportation trails.
(b) The department shall establish and maintain a Web site where a person may locate information about the council, including all meeting notices and agendas.
(c) The department shall prepare written minutes of each meeting of the council and shall make them available on the Web site established under par. (b).